Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success WINNER

Earlier this week author K.M. Weiland introduced us to the concept of Reverse Outlining, a great technique to use when you get stuck on how to bring about an event in your novel, creating a seamless timeline for your book.

Katie's book, Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success is filled with great ideas on brainstorming and outlining as well as leading writers through the process of writing a novel. Anyone who follows her blog knows the quality advice she gives, so I'm excited that S.P. Sipal of Harry Potter for Writers blog has won a copy of this book!

Thanks to everyone for entering and sharing a bit about your writing woes and the techniques you've embraced to work through them--it was great to read so many views of fellow writers. And, if you still want to get your hands on this book, simply click on the cover! Also, don't forget to make K.M.Weiland's blog a regular pit stop to visit. Wordplay: Helping Writers Become Authors is bursting with excellent articles and one of my favorite places to visit. :)

Happy writing!

14 comments:

T.D. McFrost said...

I am an outliner, hands down! I do not fancy just writing and seeing where a story goes, I find that caustic (no offense, guys).

I spend months piecing the story together in my head, so that I can spend an hour plotting the chapters and the scenes. However, when I write I almost never stick to the outline, I'll often swap out planned stuff for those a tad more...organic(?). So, in a sense, I do understand the concept of just writing and fixing later, but it doesn't work for me.

I love your posts btw.

SP Sipal said...

Woohoo!! I'm so excited. And as I'm about to start a brand new story, I can put this to great use. I especially loved the reverse outlining method you highlighted.

Thanks so much Angela and K.M.!

K.M. Weiland said...

Congratulations, S.P.! I'll be sending you a copy of the book soon. I hope you enjoy it!

Huge thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion on the original post. And an even huger thanks to Angela and Becca for allowing me to visit with you all!

Angela Ackerman said...

Congrats to Susan! I know this book will be a great addition to your bookshelf! Huge thanks to K.M.Weiland for visiting us and her thoughtful responses to everyone's comments on her Reverse Outlining article.

You guys all rock--thanks for your visits and support

T.D. it sounds like you've found a process that works, and that's a big part of the battle. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to go about writing a novel. We each need to find a process that works for us! :) And thank you--glad you like our content!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Okay, I am just going to have to buy a copy. Gotta have this one!! :-)

Kitty's Blogspace said...

Congrats to our lucky winner. :)

I am absolutely an out-liner. I learned my lesson with my nano novel. never again will i start anything without a solid outline.

thejoysofwriting said...

I've been thinking a lot about outlining these days and I appreciate the informatoin about this book. I like a loose outline before I start writing a fresh novel, because I like to know roughly where I'm headed. I can't wait to check out this book!

tracikenworth said...

Sounds like a great book!! Thanks!!

Marsha Sigman said...

I'm going to have the book too but congrats to the winner!

I'm a soft outliner. That's what I'm calling it. I do a bullet outline and then it usually changes but at least it manages to keep me somewhat on track.

Lenny Lee* said...

hooray for the winner! for sure im gonna try that backwards stuff on my wip. thanks for such a cool idea.
...hugs from lenny

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I didn't even enter--I just went straight to the Kindle page and bought it! I've already started reading it, and recommended it to my crit partners. Thanks for bringing such a great resource to our attention!

Southpaw said...

I totally missed her blog information in the last post. I'm checking it out today.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Congratulations to the winner! I've never considered outlining in reverse, but now I'll have to give it a try. Great posts.

Leslie Rose said...

Yay, Susan! This book is screaming for me to buy it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...