Naked Dialogue: How, When and Where to Go Tagless


Happy Monday, Musers! Today I have a guest post up over at the Awesomo Tabitha's Writer's Musings blog on NAKED DIALOGUE. In it I discuss tagless dialogue and how and when to use it properly. I also supply a few ideas on how to think beyond only using it to increase pace or give the reader a break from tags, citing examples of how naked dialogue can make your writing a bit more savvy. I hope you'll check it out!

Because dialogue is a huge portion of any novel, all writers must really understand how to do it well and I can't emphasize its importance enough. In fact, underdeveloped dialogue ranks number six on my Seven Deadly Sins of Novel Writing Series.

I'm also hearing rumors of several dialogue-focused posts in the works in Bloggerland, so keep an eye out for them. I know I will!

Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I think dialogue is an area I need to strengthen - a lot. I'm on my way, Angela! :-)

Pam Harris said...

I LOVE writing dialogue. In fact, I think it's one of my strengths, unless I'm disillusioned. :) But sometimes I get into such a rhythm with my dialogue that I hate interrupting it with tags. However, I also don't want to confuse my readers, and I feel that I need to throw in reminders from time to time. It's a tricky strategy, and now I keep my eyes open to see how other writers tackle it.

Jill Wheeler said...

I've just been thinking about this topic with regard to my own work!

Thanks!

Julie Musil said...

Aha! Naked dialogue. Never heard that term before, so thanks for the early morning lesson!

Bish Denham said...

I read that post. Most excellent Angela.

Danyelle said...

Awesome. I'm on my way over. Dialogue is a wonderful way to show more of one's character without having to spell things out. :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Thanks for the great links! Fortunately dialogue is one of my stengths. At least that's what I've told.

TK Turner said...

I aso agree with what everyone has said about naked dialogue. When it is done well, it is much more "charged" and informative than long epic paragraphs of narration. :)

I love writing dialogue. It's so fun! I'm such a dork, I "act out" my dialogue scenes out loud in different voices for each character.

My dog thinks I'm nuts, hahahaha! Maybe I am!

PJ Hoover said...

I loved your guest post and your term "naked dialogue" :)

Lindsey Edwards said...

Love dialogue. It can really move a story forward if you use it correctly. I like it when my hero and heroine get together because the dialogue can be intense or funny, but always fun to write!

Jessica Nelson said...

Oooh, naked dialogue? I've never heard that term but I love it! I hope I can check out your post later tonight. Sounds very informative.

btw, I have Ackermans in my family! Maybe we're related? *grin*

Angela said...

It's funny with dialogue--either people love it or hate it, it seems. I enjoy it, but I still would like to improve. Writing posts like these helps to cement the concepts in my own mind as well. :-)

Thanks everyone for commenting! I'm glad this post helped!

Jessica, totally possible. It's my married name, but it's a huge family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...