Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Curiosity

· Repeating a statement as a question
· Leaning in, sliding a chair closer
· A small, delighted smile
· A shift from mediocre conversation to pointed questions
· A softened voice or tone
· Prying or snooping
· Straining to hear, shushing others to be quiet
· Wide eyes
· Pushing one's glasses up and tilting the body toward the object of curiosity
· A gasp of wonder
· Moving toward something to witness it, forgetting one's original destination
· Lips parting slightly
· Slowed breaths


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 


11 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

I love these thesaurus Thursdays! There's so many times I think "how many ways can I say . . . .

Now, when I get stuck, I'll come over and check out your blog! :0)

Bish Denham said...

I concur with c.r.evers 100%!

Anne Spollen said...

Wish they taught English/writing classes with stuff like this. Neat!

Anne Spollen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angela said...

Thanks for chiming in, guys! We like to hear that the ET continues to be useful to writers!

Donna said...

If I haven't said it before, I say it now. Thanks for these thesauruses (thesaurii?). They really do help and once I get to editing my WIP these will certainly be right next to me. I've also joined Critique Circle! Not much done there yet but I'm getting to it.

Angela said...

That's great Donna! I'm momzilla over there, so feel free to say hi!

Pema said...

Wow - these are good. Thanks! This will definitely help in my writing.

Mary Witzl said...

Yes, these are very helpful!

I often act these things out. I try to picture what I'd do in my characters' place. I get so tired of dropped jaws, crossed arms and rolled eyes.

gail said...

Ooo! these are cool. Especially for the writer/illustrator. The body language, the visuals. Good stuff! I'm be visiting on Thursdays.

gail

Anonymous said...

Definetaly a great help for writers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...